Tuesday 9 August 2016

The 'Lana del Rey' vocal sound

I've been thinking of trying to emulate Lana del Rey's vocal sound and see if it might work on the vocals for 'Let Go', so after a quick google search, I came across this article, which I found to be a very interesting read - I never knew the album version of 'Video Games' was actually the demo version. I never really noticed that the piano was sampled or listened carefully to the strings and harp to realise they were also sampled, and by using a IK Multimedia Miroslav Philarmonique, which I own and I always thought was inferior to East West libraries - which to my ears still sound quite 'fake'. This is why, for my songs, I've tried to use, as much as possible real instruments, and double the sampled strings with real violin, or create the illusion of an ensemble by layering many takes of the one violin.

Listening back to 'Video Games', the orchestral instruments  indeed sound quite 'MIDI', but I can tell there was a lot of effort into drawing in articulations. It's a simple arrangement, but work well and it was tastefully done - and it's encouraging to think that a track created in this way had such as massive exposure and made it on the radio.

I found this excerpt particularly interesting in relation to the Lana del Rey's signature vocal sound: 'The vocals were bussed to an aux track and we had several plug-ins on the bus. In addition to the high-pass EQ, we had a Waves de-esser to knock out some of the pops and hisses, and a Waves compressor with a light ratio but a heavy threshold, and then another compressor, the H-Comp, with a higher ratio. I like to run multiple compressors in a signal chain, with none of them compressing too heavily. It does not 'small' the sound as heavily as one maxed out compressor. After that, we had an H-Delay and an RVerb, just set to a hall reverb, mixed in really high but with the bottom and top end rolled off, so the main reverb you were getting was mid-range.'

The funny this here is that they didn't do anything particularly special to achieve that sound, and that is actually the plugins chain I normally use for processing my vocals. 



Here is the link to the article:
http://www.soundonsound.com/people/robopop-producing-lana-del-reys-videogames


No comments:

Post a Comment