Wednesday 1 June 2016

Introduction

This blog will document my progress while working on a portfolio of songs to submit for my MSc Music and Sound Technology (Audio Engineering) final project.

My intention is to produce a studio EP or album containing from 5 to 10 tracks. The tracks will all be my original songs and I will aim to deliver them to a standard matching commercial releases in my niche, and eventually distribute them via online retailers and on physical CD via Bandcamp.

The style of music that I identify with at the moment is a combination or art pop, new age and electronic, so the arrangements will be varied, but still homogenous as a release. For example, one track contains orchestral strings and brass (recorded) arranged in a somewhat classical manner, but on top of an electronic beat. Most of the material is piano driven; some tracks will have electronic drums, but most will have real drums. Other instruments featured will be flute, oboe, violin, cello, percussion, etc.

There will be a great deal of recording involved, so there will opportunity to explore different recording techniques. Some of the parts though, such as bass and some guitars, will be recorded by musicians in their home studio and sent back to me.

My main focus will be on the production part, from arrangement and writing of parts, to working with the musicians to achieve the desired sound and, of course, mixing and mastering. A lot of the recording and sequencing work has already been done throughout the year, so in the following couple of months I will be mainly recording a few parts that haven’t been tracked yet, record all the vocals, mix, master and, of course, write the report.

At the end of the project, I will deliver the finished tracks ready to be released. 

As a singer-songwriter and producer, I am already aware of the business context of my work. I have already released two EPs via online retailers and I am monetising my Youtube account. The tracks resulted from this project will be part of my debut album ‘City of My Mind’. Some of the tracks will be published on my Youtube channel (which at the moment is only 1000 views away from half million), but I’m also intending to start a Kickstarter campaign for the album (even though it will be already recorded), to make sure I sell the number of copies that will come on physical CD (so for multiplication purposes), also to fund a music video.  I might also considering using some of the Kickstarter money to send the tracks for mastering to Abbey Road later on, but of course, for the final project version I will do my own mastering. I will probably also invest into some Facebook promotion which, hopefully will turn into more fans and come back as more sales. I already have a rough idea of my market audience, but am planning into exploring this more in depth.

Essentially, I will build upon my already existing online presence and create a product at the quality standard of a commercial release, suitable for my audience.

https://www.facebook.com/MissJewelia/
www.youtube.com/jewelia1
https://missjewelia.bandcamp.com/
www.jewelia-music.com
www.soundcloud.com/missjewelia

No comments:

Post a Comment