Monday 6 June 2016

Re-arranging, re-mixing and re-mastering and older track: Lotus Flower

As part of my new EP, I am including and older track (published last year on Youtube), which received good feedback from my online followers and was not included on any other release.
The track is called 'Lotus Flower' and its theme is social inequity - it explores the relationship between the less fortunate and the ordinary people, the main idea being the fact that usually we all pretend to care while at the same we are happy that we are not the miserable ones.

This is the track in its original version:



In this version, the track has quite an unusual structure for a song; I believe it is the longest song I have written, going over six minutes. 

What is specific to this song is that instead of the traditional alternation between verse and chorus, there is a constant switch between vocals and violin, the two leads having balanced importance. The timbre of the real violin adds a lot to the overall vibe and to the quality of the mix, providing an interesting contrast to the synths and drum sounds in Logic that form the rest of the backing. 

The intro is extended to about a minute and a half and it starts with a violin solo in 4/4; I wrote this part in the high register of the instrument to make it sound more wailing and emotional.  When the beat comes in, the drums and bass are in 5/4, while the violin and the piano are still in 4/4. There is also an arpeggiated synth/pad with a 6/8 pattern, which is present almost all throughout the song. 
The bass line constructs a melody in 5/4, while following the drumbeat in a way that makes the irregular rhythm feel almost natural.

                                 sample bassline:
The first verse is followed by a beautiful violin solo section, which leads into the second verse. An 8-bar interlude bar that allows a house beat to creep in, with a fade in; the house beat stays until the end of the section. The reversed piano that was introduced before, as a prefiguration of the second section, makes a second appearance and links between the two big sections of the song. The violin takes the piano line from the very intro and plays it, then dubs it up a third; this becomes the main motif around which the whole second half of the song is built. The rhythm changes to 12/8, matching the same piano pattern.  
                                           this piano motif:
is quantized in triplets and becomes this, in 12/8:
Maintaining the dialogue, the vocals imitate the violin, by singing these same notes and then dubbing the melody a major third up. To provide symmetry to the track, the drums add an extra 'beat' of 3/8, turning the rhythm into 15/8, an equivalent for the 5/4 we encountered at the beginning of the song.  There is symmetry in terms of melody as well; first we come back to the melody of the first verse, basically finishing the song with a third 'verse' which is followed by the violin playing the exact same melody that was played in the intro, with the same accompaniment and background. 

         Structure diagram of 'Lotus Flower' - original version:
The main influences for this track come from my past experience of listening Cafe del Mar and 'Absolute Relax' albums, the sort of chilled tracks with a solo violin playing the melody. I was particularly thinking of the Enigma - Secret Garden track and replicating that sort of sound, which I did by adding lots of reverb, also by boosting mids and lows on the EQ, because my raw sound was very screechy and thin. The piano responses to the violin in the second violin section solo were inspired by Moby's Porcelain and they are played in the same free manner, humanized in Logic around the beat. However, my track is not that 'chilled'; the vocals are in a pop-rock style, other influences come from acid house tracks and the shuffle beat is an influence from rock bands (song like Muse's 'Uprising' or Kasabian's 'Fire' come to mind).

                                             EQ on violin:

To make the track fit with the rest of the EP, I decided to re-arrange it; the mix could also be improved and, of course, if I was changing these things, I had to master it again.

I decided that the initial length was too much so I immediately decided to get rid of the long intro. In order to make the track more easy-listening, I got rid of all the unusual time signatures and transformed them all in 4/4 in the first half and 6/8, in the second half of the song. 

Because the mix was too cluttered, I got rid of some of the layers (particularly pads) and turned others down, keeping them in just to add texture. I turned the drums up and spent some time working on the drum sound with compression and EQ. I also worked on the vocal sound and added some pitch correction where needed.

For the mastering, I used a combination of Waves Multi Maximizer and FabFilter ProL (Limiter), which is a new plugin that I'm trying out. I found Pro-L very useful, as it has different templates which can work for different things - for example limiting or adding simulated tape saturation to the audio.

My mastering project for 'Lotus Flower':



I am very satisfied with my work of the last few days (and especially yesterday) because there is a massive difference between the two mixes. I have also managed to make the latest master as loud as some other commercial releases, which I couldn't in the past without making it sound over-compressed.

And this is the final result:

No comments:

Post a Comment